The church of St Michael and All Angels was built in the late 11th or 12th century.
In medieval times, Alwinton was known as the leading settlement of “the 10 towns of Alwinton”.
Most people earned their living from grazing livestock.
When the Selby family had to sell their estates in 1914, the Army bought what has since become the Otterburn Ranges.
Alwinton, the last village in Upper Coquetdale, is surrounded by rolling hills. It is a great starting point for walks on the Border Ridge.
There are also some fantastic horse riding routes in the Coquet Valley around Alwinton, which are perfect for mountain bikers too.
What’s on offer
The Rose and Thistle pub, which serves meals. Car park – there is a daily car parking charge of £4 per vehicle, per day, but tickets are transferable between Northumberland National Park car parks along the route of Hadrian’s Wall – telephone box and toilets.
Alwinton is accessible by using public transport.
Dark Skies discovery site
Alwinton Car Park is a designated Dark Sky Discovery Site. It’s uniquely dark skies mean it’s the perfect place to. indulge in some stargazing. Find out more by reading out Stargazing section.
Did you know?
The village was previously known as Allenton and some people still call it this.
Car: From the A1, follow the A696, then take the B6341 to Alwinton.