The name Elsdon comes from Elli’s or perhaps Aelf’s valley.
Elsdon used to be on the main road leading from Newcastle to Redesdale and beyond.
All that remain now are the earthworks of the Norman ringwork and bailey castle that once stood on the Mote Hills.
The village was often raided during the time of the Border Reivers.
In one particularly savage raid in 1584 14 men were murdered, 400 prisoners were held for ransom and 400 cows and oxen and another 400 horses were taken.
The village Pele tower is one of the best examples left in Northumberland. It dates from 1900 with walls nine feet thick.
Elsdon, the historic capital of Redesdale, is the perfect Northumbrian village.
It has an ancient parish church, a tower house and even the remains of a castle.
The houses which gather round the teardrop-shaped village green make it the largest settlement within the boundaries of the National Park.
It’s a great starting point for many walks into the surrounding countryside.
What’s on offer
- A pub, riding stables, car parking, telephone box, toilets, tea rooms.
- Pick up a walk card for the Elsdon Village Trail (suitable for wheelchair users) from the tea rooms.
Old School House Tea Room
This tea room has become an essential pitstop since Marion and Allan Graham opened in 1978.
There is lots of cycling memorabilia to take in while enjoying your refreshments.
The legendary homemade Gibbet Cake is a great energy boost for tackling the hilly roads out of Elsdon.
Car: From the A1, take the A696 to Elsdon.