Lady’s Well is an atmospheric little pool surrounded by a grove of trees. There are rumours that it was originally associated with the Anglo Saxon Saint Ninian.
Legend has it the saint baptised many early Christians in its holy water. In Medieval times, it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The powerful spring that feeds the pool is the source of Holystone village’s water supply. A stone cross, placed in its centre during Victorian times, adds to its mystery.
This is a tiny stone-built village. Forest walks include the Holystone Burn Reserve, which starts at the car park a short distance out of the village.
In the early 12th century Holystone became the home of a priory of Augustinian Canonesses.
The priory buildings were demolished during the reformation in 1541.
What’s on offer
Car parking, public transport.
Holystone Woods at dawn
The sounds you can hear on this page were recorded and edited by Geoff Sample (www.wildsong.co.uk). Geoff, who lives in Northumberland, has been recording wildlife sounds for 22 years and specialises in bird song. He is a regular contributor to BBC Radio 4’s ‘Tweet of the Day’.
Car: From the A1, follow the A696, then the B6341, following the signs for Holystone. Lady’s Well is a short walk north west of the village.