Alwinton : The Parish Church
The history and territory of Alwinton parish have been extensively discussed on other pages. The medieval history of the church itself, as opposed to the parish it served and the individual rectors, vicars or stipendiary priests who ministered there, is much less well-documented and we are principally reliant on the surviving remains of medieval date preserved in the fabric of the current church building, which are described and discussed in detail by P. F. Ryder below.
Although the church was very extensively rebuilt in the mid 19th century, losing much of its original character, significant information can be gained by this means. The dedication to St Michael is first recorded in a will of 1582 (Bates 1889, 334; NCH XV (1940), 406).
Picture : Alwinton Parish Church