Byrness : The 19th Century
The succession of mid-late 18th century and early 19th century maps show the progressive growth of settlement in upper Redesdale in steadily improving detail. In particular, Greenwood's map of Northumberland (1828) gives a good impression of the extent of enclosed ground in upper Redesdale by the early 19th century, whilst MacAdam's 1828 survey of the Carter Bar turnpike provides the first relatively detailed plan of Byrness.
These maps coupled with the evidence of the standing buildings themselves reveal the steady development of the settlement at Byrness. A standard three bay farmhouse was erected immediately in front of the original farmhouse in the mid 19th century.
Examination of the map evidence would suggest this occurred during the 1840s or ‘50s between the completion of the tithe map and the 1st edition Ordnance Survey. Another stable block, bearing a date of 1877 on a lintel, was added to the rear (cf. Grundy 1988, 290-1: ROC 7-8).
The rectory was built on the north side of the turnpike road, just to the west of the farm in c. 1840, although both MacAdam's survey and Greenwood's map suggests the buildings immediately to the west were already standing in 1828.
The church itself was rebuilt in 1884 by the restorer F.R. Wilson of Alnwick. The chancel was partly rebuilt and the interior entirely remodelled at this time, with a ceiling of false hammerbeams and decorated tracery inserted in the original round-headed window openings.