The Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Elsdon : Discussion
There does not appear to be any recent account or analysis of the church available, as Elsdon was not covered by any of the later volumes of the Northumberland County History. An outline of the structural development is given by Pevsner et al. (2002, 267):
A 12th-century (Norman) church with an aisled nave and a western tower; the (altered) tower arch and western responds of the arcades survive.
14th-century remodelling, in two phases. The transepts belong to the first, the present nave arcades (and addition of western aisles to the transepts) to the second. The chancel was also rebuilt at this time.
In the 16th or early 17th century the aisles were rebuilt, narrower than previously, with their quadrant vaults and barely any windows.
The present bellcote dates from 1720.
Restoration in 1837 including the construction of the present south porch.
Restoration in 1877, F.R.Wilson of Alnwick being the architect.