Early Medieval Stonework :The Cross Shaft
Four carved sandstone fragments (one now lost) were found in 1885, in the graveyard of St Peter's Church, in the wall of the adjoining farmhouse and in the wall enclosing the garden attached to the farmhouse (Hall 1889; NCH XV (1940), 165).
Despite Collingwood's doubts (1927, 34-5,) these can be reconstructed into a single cross shaft (Corpus, Falstone 1; Cramp & Miket 1982, 16 no. 38, pls. 7-8). On the basis of its stylistic parallels the cross shaft is dated to AD 850-900.