Greenhaugh And Tarset : Area Of Study
Tarset was a township or vill during the medieval period and Greenhaugh probably fell within the township of Tarsethope. However in the early 18th century Upper North Tynedale was divided into a series of new Poor Law townships, which form the basis of the territorial units described in the County History (NCH XV (1940)).
As a consequence the immediate environs of Tarset and Greenhaugh were split up between several townships - Thorneyburn, Tarset West, Tarretburn and Charlton West Quarter.
None of these covers all the relevant settlements and together they embrace too large an area to use as the basis of this study. Accordingly, a smaller, more coherent study area has been adopted, which is focussed on the settlements of Tarset, Lanehead and Greenhaugh. To the south the study area is bounded by the North Tyne and extends along both sides of the Tarset Burn in a 2 - 3km wide corridor as far north as Gatehouse.
Picture : Greenhaugh Village