Ingram : Crosses
The socket stone for a standing cross previously stood in the centre of the village, south of the east range of farm buildings, but no trace remains today. It is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey and the subsequent 2nd and 3rd editions. It has been described as a market cross, although there is no record of a market at Ingram and it may have served some other function.
Another cross socket is described by the County History (NCH XIV (1935), 456-7) on the pass leading from Ingram to Fawdon and Whittingham over the Fawdon Hills, and about half a mile from Ingram Church.
It was presumably associated with a wayside cross and was situated not on the watershed but on the highest point where the curve of the hillside would not hide from Ingram. It was thus not visible to travellers coming from the Fawdon direction until they were within a few hundred metres of it, making it clear that the cross must have been erected by the inhabitants of Ingram rather than Fawdon.