Ingram : Manorial Tenure
The 1604 Survey of royal holdings in the border and debateable lands found twelve tenants of the freeholders with 1600 acres of land (1604 Survey, 116; see Selected Sources and Surveys no. 7). In the same year, Thomas Swinburne sold his third of the manor, which included part of ‘Huntlake’ and Greenshields and his third of the advowson to Henry Collingwood of Eslington (NCH XIV (1935), 474). In 1646, George Denton conveyed his third of Ingram, the advowson and a third of the farms of Huntlaw, Greenshields, Blakehope and Great and Little Hardish to John Ogle of Eglingham who already held the remaining third.
Following the Civil War, the share of the royalist Eglingham Collingwoods was acquired by another branch of the family, the Collingwoods of Little Ryle. Otherwise this arrangement whereby the larger part of the township was the property of the Ogles of Eglingham, with the smaller share belonging to the Collingwoods persisted throughout the remainder of the 17th-18th centuries.
The Ogles seem to have held Ingram town, parsonage and mill, whilst the Collingwoods held the glebe lands. The manor was finally reunited at the beginning of the 19th century. The male line of the Collingwoods of Little Ryle was extinguished in 1795, with their third of Ingram passing to Isabella, wife of John Tarleton. In turn, John Ogle of Eglingham released his Ingram estate to John Tarleton in 1802. Tarleton’s manor, excluding the glebe land, is shown in the Plan of the Estate and Lordship of Ingram in Northumberland (NRO ZAN Bell 67/6; Aln Cas O XV 7), which was probably produced in preparation for the sale of Ingram in 1821 (the paper is watermarked 1817), as a result of which the estate was acquired by the Roddam family.
It subsequently passed to the Bryants in 1920 (op. cit., 475). The glebe land formerly held by the Collingwoods is not shown on the 1820/21 estate plan. It later seems to have been associated with Ingram Mill lands (cf. NRO ZAN Bell 67/7 (1841)) and was presumably dealt with separately.