The Boundaries Discussion : Todholes And The Lonnen
Todholes sections 1 - 4 form the northern limit of an area of complex field banks largely running north to south to form a series of strip fields. These are shown on the tithe map as in the possession of various individuals and their form suggests the remnants of much earlier open field cultivation.
The western limit of these fields is shown as the stream, which at some time after 1866 has been canalised and now runs close to the rear of the properties on the east side of Elsdon. Its original meandering course is still evident on the ground. The sections are represented by a dry stone wall continuing as post and wire fences and the foundations of further walls and hedge banks and constitute a particularly interesting series of boundary features.
From the beginning of section 4 onwards the course of the boundaries appears largely unchanged since 1731. Along sections 4 and 5 a post and wire fence runs alongside a bank, which stands to a height of 1-1.5m and a width of 3m and extends on a straight course south eastwards. Section 6 continues as a dry stone wall along the north side of the road. Section 8 stone-faced bank is shown on both maps as the boundary between Todholes and a 'Glebe Land Allotment'. This, to the south of the road to Todholes, together with an allotment described as 'Elsdon Townhead Lands' now make up much of The Lonnen holding (NRO DT 164m).
With the exception of a length of dry stone wall section (a continuation of Whiskershiels section 16) all further sections are represented by post and wire fences with the remnants of the earlier walls generally present to a lesser or greater extent.
The farmsteads at The Lonnen and the now ruinous Hillhead were constructed after 1731 but present by 1840. At this date the main route from Elsdon to Steng Cross went via a road after which The Lonnen is evidently named and its course is still evident on the ground as far as East Hillhead. However, the course of the present modern road to the west appears to have been established as part of the 1731 Award together with the route, now a public footpath, from Manside Cross down to Whitlees and Whiskershiel. The south eastern section, which includes the Steng Cross, also marks the parish boundary between Elsdon and Hollinghill.