Historic village in the north of the National Park

The beautiful village of Kirknewton is made up of farm buildings and cottages.

It lies at the entrance to the College Valley in Glendale, on the very northern edge of the National Park boundary. Kirknewton is the only conservation area in Northumberland National Park. It was created in 1996 to protect and enhance the special architectural and historical interest of the area.

The Village Hall in Kirknewton is also a designated Dark Sky Discovery Site perfect for viewing the dark skies over the Northumberland National Park.

Easter Tor

A bronze-socketed axe was found on the summit of Easter Tor in 1904, which suggests it was once a holy place.

St Gregory the great church at Kirknewton

History of Kirknewton

The village was designated part of the barony of Wark-on-Tweed, set up by King Henry I in the 12th century to reward key supporters. The parish church of St Gregory’s was often damaged by hostile armies and raiders.

It was so bad in 1436 that the priest was licensed to say mass outside the church for ‘so long as the hostility of the Scots then existing should continue’. It is very close to the archaeological remains in College Valley and Yeavering Bell and Gefrin.

Historic Village Atlas

“The Historic Village Atlas is an in depth study of the history of 17 villages and settlements across the National Park. Known as the least populated National Park in the UK with less than 2,000 residents, there are no large settlements within the National Park. However, this wasn’t always the case, and the villages and hamlets were much more heavily populated in the past than they are today.

The Historic Village Atlas project began in 2004 and was carried out by Newcastle based The Archaeological Practice. It drew on a combination of sources, including archaeological data, aerial photographs, historic building records, old and modern photographs, and original historic maps and documents. It aimed at stimulating community interest in history and archaeology and lead on to further local community-led projects.
Each volume has four main parts:

1. An introduction to historic villages, the methods used and the sources consulted in their study;
2. An analysis and historical summary of the village;
3. A map showing the archaeological sensitivity of each village, classified as of high or medium sensitivity;
4. Conclusions and opportunities for further research
5. A glossary of words and phrases used in the atlas and bibliography of primary and secondary sources.

Click here to download the Kirknewton Historic Village Atlas.